Kataragama's outboard bracket

The hole in Kataragama's cockpit has been blocked  on a temporary basis while we move it to Padstow where will make a permanent job of the fill . We have taken of the swim platform to fit the backup outboard on a bracket , the swim platform will go back on in due course with mods to allow for the outboard a 15 hp extra long shaft honda, to which I have added a new flywheel with ring gear for an electric start plus removed the tiller handle and put remote gear throttle controls.

I made a a temp prototype bracket to allow the cockling up out of the water this proved not low enough so I fitted an extension lowering plate between my bracket and the 70 kg double lift bracket gotten in the cockpit. The double lift had its joining lockdown handle cut off to separate the 2 lifts as they interfered withe the honda handle after the sea trial the outboard is now proved more than low enough and practical . I have removed the bracket and modified to give strength and water shielding to the outboard it's hopefully going on this weekend it's bolted out the hollow transom with 12 bolts through a 3 foot by 1 foot backing pad there is now a 2 by 2 crossbar which will bolt on to the 2 back steps behind the transom .
20200914_114805
20200914_163645
received_766951467484196_resize_48
received_1635091043341177_resize_82

2020-10-08_10.45.01

I will add pictures when the bracket is fitted and the raise and lower bracket is added .

When fitted there are 2, 15 inch tensioning bolts running through the the whole unit through 2 stainless tubes .

The constraints we are working are time and strength so We are not worried about the cosmetics of the bracket a cosmetic version will be built for the future. All in all not a bad mornings work.

Comments

• Options

20201011_131152

Modified bracket now installed .

Engine fitted and running .

• Options
    Thats outboard extender is some heavy engineering!!. It should get you home! and the outboard is not too noisy either!. I like the vectored thrust!.. D

Leave a Comment

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!