Catalac 9M

edited October 2020 in General
I have a Catalac 9M in need of a bit of TLC for free if anyone is interested.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Removing the old stern tube to replace the stern tube ,cutlass, stuffing box and prop shaft .

Finally out ready for new stern gear.

• Options

20200903_075159
    20200903_082351

We'll just need the stern tube assembly now
  • Options
    20200909_203516_crop_87

New stern tube arrived for fitting

• Options
    Adrian, Loving the new "restoration" .videos.
    P.S. to people writing to Kataragama.. Yes, the boat is now under new ownership and is being renovated!..
    Dagnall- Hon Sec

• Options
    Holes plugged, new stern tube and prop shaft fitted, new skin fittings on port side and seacocks the large outboard cockpit hole temporarily blocked and sealed with polycarb , outboard bracket fitted on cockpit transome needs mod to work yet but outboard on . Both dolphins "unfrozen " and back on mounts, no exhausts fitted yet but on way , carbs one new ready to be fitted , new cables needed .
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Tried power wash but the water turned the ground into mudbath so waited till after craning in .

Cleaned topsides boat breathed a sigh of relief .So did we.two.
    Minor flap , one skin fitting leaked , made a 4 inch dia fiberglass washer from a scrap boat fitted at low water. Second leak cracked old plastic tube on greaser fitted new copper pipe .Photos soon

20200916_182619

• Options
    Looking Good!
    D
  • Options
    Had a little sea trial outboard and starboard dolphin . The bracket for the outboard, was always going to be need a mod but I did not know how much of a mod , anyway the mod is now in progress after taking the 15 hp honda off in Mayflower marina to remove the bracket .
    received_1226830051015890_resize_72
    received_766951467484196_resize_48
    received_964168800676386_resize_98
    received_1635091043341177_resize_82

The dolphin ran perfectly but the fuel feed gets air locks every so often so I am going to reroute the fuel pipe and I may put a small 1/2 liter buffer tank close to the engine with a high vent to tackle the issue . A recirculating fuel pump may be a long term solution . I have fitted a 296 filter and water separator which holds about 1/2 a litre
    Moving that from near the tank to nearer the engine might serve the same purpose ,however the fuel line has a near 4 foot horizontal run and I think that needs to be inclined.

20200928_141806_resize_67
    20200928_150236_resize_68
    20200928_141839_resize_46

The tick over of the dolphin needs just a " little " attention but then slow running on a 2 stroke always can cause 4 stroking our suzuki used to 4 stroke erratically on tick over . The hours run at sea at half revs has improved it as it has cleared out the remnants of the the oil I filled the cylinders up with and I put 1/4 of a litre in the "sumps" as the engines had been standing frozen for 5 years or more . I did drain them before remounting but there will have been quite a lot of run off collected in its books and crannies. Next time we runn it I will video that sewing machine sound!.

• Options
    Jackie refitting the outboard on to the modified bracket.

• Options
    Love the smoother sounding engine!.. Presumably the wires wrapped loosely around the shaft are there just to get trapped and foul everything - so you have something new to fix ;-) PS we need to train you to hold the phone sideways for a "full width picture"!!. Best regards !! See you on the monthly zoom ..!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Not wires 2 spare waterpump belts will be taped out the way before we move if a belt snaps instant replacement without having to disconnect the shaft . I'm busy fitting an alternator so there will also be a spare belt for that . You might find the " pully" for that interesting .I'm putting the alternator on because the Dynastart is only 90 watts charging . It works when I tested the prototype thist last week end but I did not notice the alternator I got from the scrapyard 20£ was 1200 watts! so will return for a smaller power one as it will put undue stress on the drive for it . To put a pulley for an alternator on a dolphin is not easy as it has to go between the centrifugal clutch and the waterpump . There was a kit on the starboard engine but it's been removed and it would be difficult to get another. So.. the alternator drive belt is a 5 rib polymer . And I have turned 6 rib polyvee inside out and test glued it to the outside of the fly wheel ! I temporarily used araldite to test it and it produced 12 amps on tick over , I knew the araldite wouldn't hold as rubber to metal is not it's "thing" but the proper glue c737 black magic is expensive and I wanted to test the drive would function. Before paying out the gut wrenching 40£ for 40 grams !. I don't have much work at the min so we have to be very very careful. The weather has been atrocious and if it continues we will probably have to accept stopping in Plymouth , plus it looks like a national lockdown is coming again which might be an also cause an issue . More Photos Will eventually arrive . Meanwhile King William and Benny hill in the company of royalty this last week. received_1029384794189402_resize_3 received_1235679126795498_resize_47 20201028_172149_resize_71
  • Options
    The extension for the bracket works well , I have now taken the wood blocks out and lowered the Outboard the prototype was not rigid enough but the mods would take a much heavy out board .the only issue was the bracket had 4 springs and they were 2 strong for the 52 kg outboard weight . I couldn't push the engine down into the water now having taken 2 springs off the weight plus friction and I couldn't pull the outboard up I have fitted a double purchase and solved the double bracket that came with the boat had the holddowns removed and putting the outboard into reverse caused it to.lift .I have arranged a double hold down line to stop that . The original issue was the outboard could not cockle up because the powerhead was too.close to the transome that is solved now . The extension solve several issues . It has a tapered shield to provide protection to the outboard from waves running under the bridge deck because the 9m has no outboard bulge under the cockpit . I have had to remove the swim platform to fit everything but I'm going to refit the platform on a hinge system with a cuttaway for the outboard which will still allow easy access and tidy the extension and bracket out of sight . Jackie has more than a week off in November and we might still be able to move he to Padstow. I want to fit the dog house I have under construction before we move , the lizard and landsend without a cover over the cabin hatch could prove a bit of a flooding experience with a wave top over the boat..

Leave a Comment

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!