Tips and Ideas for Rounding Portland Bill

Hello We moved last year from Gosport and our familiar Solent and Poole Bay cruising ground for many years, to Weymouth. We now have plans to head west in 2021, to explore the West Country, but would like to gather experience from others as to how to tackle the in-shore route around “The Bill” and to take in West Bay (Bridport) and Lyme Regis as the slower journey to the Exe and beyond.. Our catamaran is only 24 feet long and with a 9.9 Yamaha outboard, so clearly we need to pick the right weather and tides to negotiate the inshore route. We would welcome any advice from others who have mastered this trip! Many thanks Regards Simon and Jean

Comments

• Options
    Simon, It was good to chat on the Monthly Zoom! My advice would be to go for it and enjoy it. We first "did the Bill" in a 22ft Hirondelle, religiously following the almanac advice. I think the best advice is to stay close! But also to be aware of the southward tide that can easily draw you down to the race if you are not careful. The advice on the return leg to aim for a point well to the north of the Bill (as you will be pushed south as you get closer) is good!. Later, in the Catalac 8m, we decided to go south of the Bill to avoid it altogether, and I have a waypoint 5NM south set as being "safe". This does not give any real options for stopping in Portland or Weymouth, but we had a few good passages in good weather from Dartmouth back to the Solent. We usually timed these so the tide was against as we were roughly 5 miles south of the bill, so we could enter the Solent with the tide and get the huge rush up to Cowes. The disadvantage was going for a nap off watch and finding the Bill roughly in the same position when waking 2 hrs later. I would also recommend trying some navigation programs to help with planning (and to beat the winter blues!) . Those of your who know me know I love the Neptune Navigation passage planner and I have had it on the boat PC for many years. I just love the fact I can plan passages and it does the tide work - and - uniquely as far as I can tell- It will give you estimated passage times at 1 hr intervals for the day, so you can see the effect of getting the tide right, or wrong. I have no links to Neptune Navigation!.
  • Options
    Hello Scubacat ! Apologies but I am not so sure and confident yet, to link people’s names to their boats, but perhaps it is Dagnall who has replied? If it is, many thanks for your very helpful advice and will take your expertise onboard! Will also see if I can find the link to Neptune Navigation, which is really helpful. Sorry for the delay in responding, but have just now looked at the website and Forum link...! I also managed to move my boat location successfully after your tutorial during the Zoom meeting this month. Speak again soon and thanks for your help! Regards Simon
  • Options
    Simon,, Yes Scubacat is me, Dagnall-- And I agree its confusing!. Looking forward to seeing you at next months Zoom.. Dagnall
  • Options
    Hello Dagnall and everyone It’s been some long time since I have been in contact, but just to say that I successfully rounded Portland Bill on the inside route at 5.30am on Sunday morning (18thJuly) with great success and satisfaction. Admittedly I chose neap tides, and very little wind in the right direction, and timed arrival from Portland Harbour as per all the recommendations given from various sources I could find, and everything worked fine. It was interesting that following behind me were about 5 other yachts, so I felt more comfortable that my timing was about right, unless they thought I knew the best route and timing and were just tagging on behind me, but don’t think so! The dire warning to look out for lobster pot buoys, especially those partially submerged, was studiously heeded (even with being singlehanded) but this proved not to be any real issue in the end. I was a bit worried I would not have a good view of them in the early morning gloom, but all went well in the end.. So many thanks to Dagnall and all the people who have given me advice.. very appreciative of this. So we are now with Free Spirit at Turf Lock on the Exeter Canal and I must say that the River Exe is a magical and so friendly place to be!! Will keep you updated on our little exploration west! Best Wishes Simon and Jean Free Spirit Solaris Sunbeam 24 Yamaha 9.9 outboard
  • Options
    PS If there are any members based up the Exe Estuary or visiting just now please contact us for a possible meet up.. Best Wishes Simon and Jean
  • Options
    You are making me very jealous! 
    We have been waiting (sort of patiently !) until my new Spirit electric OB arrives before setting off. It was supposed to get into the country "early" June, then 19th, then today updated to the 29th.. with the comment "and then probably 10 days!!!" .. Apparently the container may have been swapped on a ship for something more urgent. The supplier is going spare! 
    We may have to rely on oars.. But I did get a second hand sail for the tender, and am just finishing a centreboard!  
    - Got to make use of the spare time profitably!
    The children suggest I am trying to do a "Gulliver" impression!.
    Dagnall

Screenshot 2021-07-16 184305 (1)
  • Options
    Good luck with the outboard, sounds interesting and the way forward for the future. Having had a lovely and peaceful time in the last 2 weeks, based in Exeter Canal basin, we are now anchored for the night just outside Fishcombe Cove next to Brixham Harbour, having left at lunchtime, locking through to the Exe again. Despite some choppy waters leaving the Exe with the ebb, and sharp showers, the last 2-3 hours we got the sails up and motor sailed into Brixham. Hope to reach Dartmouth and the Dart tomorrow. It’s another world here! Exciting and gorgeous! Simon and Jean
  • Options
    We are back in Weymouth! The 2hrs before HW Plymouth directions to round the Bill, coming from the West, worked out perfectly.. the downside was to have to leave Bridport (West Bay) at 4am to be at the Bill for 7.10am! However the moon gave us some light and comfort to see a little whilst on passage and dawn finally arrived around 6am. Only 1 other yacht was heading via the in-side route with us and it was also reassuring seeing him on the AIS, tracking in a similar direction an hour or so before arriving, that our timing was also on track. We had a 10 knot NEasterly all the way which allowed us to get the Genoa out once we had a little light, to help the outboard keep up our average speed of 5 knots, and once we started to close in on Portland’s SW shore our speed increased to 7knots with the favourable tide running South by 6am.. In conclusion, we feel a lot better that we were able to manage “The Bill” or as my wife calls it “Mr Bill” ! The fear and trepidation we had, reading about all the horror stories, were unfounded, providing, I assume, that we continue to follow all the advice of locals and experienced sailors, and time the trip according to the directions, and pick the right weather conditions..etc. Simon and Jean

Leave a Comment

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!